Are you looking to replace an existing carpet with a new one, or changing from a hard floor to a carpet? Either way, thinking of sprucing up the cosiest space in your home and choosing a carpet for your bedroom is always an excellent idea.
If you have been researching what to lay in your bedroom, we bet the information and variety available may have confused you further. No mean task, choosing the carpet for your bedroom that suits your style and budget, we can collectively agree on that! So instead, we have prepared a list of factors to help you select the carpet that meets your preferences.
When you think of carpets, you think of comfort, warmth and added softness underfoot. Carpets can be a great addition to your bedroom. However, to ensure you add that level of luxury to your bedroom, you need to first settle on what kind and colour of carpet you are after. Choosing from the types of carpets available can be a bit overwhelming. To narrow it down for you, there are three key categories:
- Pure Wool Carpets: If you are looking for something that stands the test of time, is luxurious and low maintenance, wool carpets are a great choice. Their chunky and tactile textures feel both warm and comfortable to tread on. Crafted from 100% wool, it is available in its natural gradients of greys, blacks and browns. Wool carpets are available in designs of cob rows, loop piles and natural flecks.
- Nylon Carpets: The best part about nylon carpets is that they are available in various qualities. From ultra-plush silky touch to a more textured yet soft experience underfoot, nylon carpets can provide you with that added comfort you are looking for in your haven. The colour palette available at Signature Floors is aplenty, from neutral shades of browns, greys, blacks and whites to tones of blues, reds, pinks, and greens.
- Polyester carpets: The synthetic fibres used in polyester carpets dye very well, which provides you with a plethora of colours to choose from. They are soft to touch and are available in many designs and are more affordable.
One of the most defining factors when considering carpeting your bedroom would be your budget. If you are buying a carpet for a home, you intend to live in for a long time, investing in a wool carpet can be wise. Apart from its incredible qualities and opulence, it also saves you the trouble of cleaning every day, allergic reactions and financial costs of heating and cooling your room.
However, if you are after a soft touch underfoot or prefer to play around with colours to match your walls or furniture, nylon carpets are a great replacement. They are easy to maintain, fade-resistant and pet and children friendly.
There is a reason why many choose to stay away from a fully carpeted home; one of the dominating factors is it demands high upkeep. So, when you select a carpet, you need to know how it will make your life easy, not harder. If you have a busy family filled with children and pets, nylon carpets will work like magic for you. Spills will happen, and so will abrasions, and a nylon or polyester carpet will save the day (for years for you). They are resistant to stains and easy to clean.
While wool carpets are not recommended for households with pets and children, they are a great addition to a quieter home without children or pets. Because of their manufacturing process, wool carpets are eco-friendly too. Wool carpets absorb 30% of moisture, which helps dehumidify your room and can be a comforting factor for people prone to allergies and asthma. They keep you feeling toasty and snug in winters and cool the room in balmy weather. Wool fibres have high elasticity, making them easy to bounce back into their original shape, and because of their fibre structure, it also makes them soil, stain and fire-resistant. Vacuuming once a week is enough to keep your carpets looking plush.
Carpets are synonymous with warmth, softness and comfort. Retreating to your bedroom should also mean cancelling noise from outside and the rest of the house, and thankfully carpets provide you with acoustic comfort.
Wool, nylon and polyester carpets come in various designs and construction. To make an informed decision about what would suit your home environment, it may be helpful to know the types of carpet styles. The three types of designs available are twist/cut, loop and plush.
- Twist Pile: As the name suggests, in a twist/cut pile the yarn is twisted together in a pile allowing a textured feel to the carpet and making it more hard-wearing. However twist piles do show shading or tracking marks on your carpet.
- Loop Pile: Loop pile carpets are woven in a loop, allowing them to be played around with many textures and patterns. They are durable and hard-wearing, promising to last a long time. They may not be as soft as a plush carpet and may not be ideal for homes with pets as they may snag or wear out quickly.
- Plush Pile: Plush piles have the yarn standing up, making it easy to clean and maintain. Having said that, plush pile carpets may lend a smooth and soft finish, but can leave indentation upon vacuuming or treading over. So, if you like your carpet without the shading, plush pile carpets may not be for you.
Carpets bring you the sophistication and luxury you want in your bedroom. You may not have acquired Aladdin’s ‘magic carpet’ yet, but hey! Choosing the perfect carpet for your bedroom will be a good start to taking you to a magical place like your cosy bedroom.